After being on the road doing business in 46 countries and over 1,000 events for the past 10 years, it’s time to take some time out, reflect on what’s next and make it even better. Of course I always welcome interaction with our circle of excellence members, plus we are full on into our new feature film, have a documentary coming out soon, and a few other projects, but there will be a lot more reading books, chilling out and Landi Jac and I are off to Europe for 3 months soon, and of course Greece. Have you ever considered a sabbatical and if so, what would you do?
It took me ages to come to this decision. Whilst I have been teaching Lifestyle Entrepreneurship for about 4 years, living in Greece for the winter months for the past 3 years and generally organising my business to travel the world and hang out with cool people transforming the planet and making a difference the fact of the matter was I was pretty much working most of the time. So with the advent in 2015 of Dave Rogers and I sharing #youism, the biggest shift and trend of the next 5 years I thought… its time.
I guess it always takes a prompt. Mine was a few things – here they are:
- Listening to Landi Jac share how she is getting off email in 2015, so thinking why not and having reduced my email by about 70% since january… yes folks it can be done.
- Getting people off ringing me up… that’s taken a year or so, but I truthfully never get a call now except the occasional one from friends
- A shift in the industry I am in, making me think how I want to approach it in future. I am truly sick and tired of these supposed personal development gurus who don’t walk their talk, take advantage of people in weak moments and don’t deliver… (yes its a gripe… I would love to have the balls to name a few of them – but instead I will focus on what I can control…. me and my delivery)
- A few little minor health things, especially my somewhat high blood pressure that I have had since 25. It’s definitely related to type A, so yes I eat grapefruit, drink little alcohol (bugger it), eat cayenne pepper and a few other things to manage it
- And lastly the fact that after 1,000 events + in the last 10 years… I just need some long service leave.
So – I’ll update you here from time to time on what’s going on. We are off to Europe and visiting about 19 different countries with only 5 days of events in that time and the highlight – finishing with a northern lights cruise out of Northern Norway.
You work hard… probably too hard. If you are reading this and you are male then my caution is to watch out for things like:
- I must be busy (Landi says the business of being busy is no longer cool… and she’s right)
- I must make a Million (just make enough to do what you want. Corolla or Ferrari… You won’t impress me thats for sure)
- I have to look good amongst my friends (that’s the biggie and it traps me too…but its a walk seriously… get over yourself… looking good could cost you your sanity, relationship and health)
If your reading this and you are a female:
- You are not responsible for the health, wellbeing and mothering of anyone of even near adult age. Think what you were like as a 16+ year old.
- You are not your partners puppet. You have dreams, and wishes too
- Don’t just agree with your man and go down the same road.
- If you are a career driven female entrepreneur, like most of my audience then what I wrote about the men traps may apply to you.
Bottom line, look after you first. You are the centre of your universe and if you are anything less than 100%, in your life, career, relationships or health, you can never be anything you really want to be.
My issue is keeping my mind quiet. I have already had 50+ ideas in the first 7 days of this sabbatical thing. Even this blog is one of them. Let’s see how it goes. Drop me your comments and ideas on my Facebook or here.